Sony's next-generation VR for PlayStation 5 will look better, feel better, and open the door to new game experiences. One of the first games will be Horizon Call of the Mountain.
Sony had already revealed the new controllers (PlayStation VR2 Sense) for virtual reality gaming on PlayStation 5 and the company has now officially announced the headset (PlayStation VR2).
With PS VR2, Sony is promising to take VR gaming to a whole new level. This is made possible through the combination of improved picture quality, expanded and more accurate tracking as well as tactile/haptic feedback. The headset will still need a cable to connect to PS5.
PS VR2 will feature an OLED display with 2000x2040 pixels per eye, which Sony refers to as 4K resolution. The display can refresh at 90 and 120Hz. The headset also features built-in 3D audio (Tempest Audio).
Unlike many other VR headsets, the OLED display in PS VR2 will let gamers enjoy very high contrast and not least HDR (High Dynamic Range) for an expanded dynamic range and a larger color space.
Sony unveiled the PS VR2 controllers last year
The headset has "inside-out" tracking meaning that PS VR2 does not require external cameras. It also has tactile feedback to let the player feel the character's elevated pulse or the thrust of a vehicle. In addition, it has eye tracking to let the game world react to what the player is looking at.
- "All of these advancements in PlayStation VR2, combined with the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers from the PS VR2 Sense controllers, enable players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way," said Hideaki Nishino, SVP, Platform Experience at Sony.
Sony has yet to reveal the design of the headset.
The company confirmed that Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla and Firesprite will be one of the first major games for PS VR2. The game will "open the doors for players to go deeper into the world of Horizon".
PlayStation VR2 og Sense – specifications
- Visual Fidelity: For a high-fidelity visual experience, PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
- Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.
- New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.
- Eye Tracking: With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming.
PlayStation VR2:Display method: OLED
Panel resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye
Panel refresh rate: 90Hz, 120Hz
Lens separation: Adjustable
Field of View: Approx. 110 degrees
Sensors: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer):
Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller tracking:IR camera for eye tracking per eye
Feedback: Vibration on headset
Communication with PS5: USB Type-C
Audio: Input: Built-in microphone:Output: Stereo headphone jack
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controllers:Buttons:
Right: PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button
Left: PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)
Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch Detection. IR LED: Position Tracking
Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
Port: USB Type-C Port
Communication: Bluetooth Ver5.1
Battery: Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery