The new software update addresses Plex media server issues, external storage issues, video playback stutter and other issues introduced with last month's major Android 11 update.
More than 25 bug fixes
Nvidia finally upgraded the Shield TV box from Android 9 to Android 11 last month. Unfortunately, the Android 11 update came with tons of major and minor bugs. It also broke Plex media server functionality.
With the latest software update (Experience Upgrade 9.0.1), Nvidia has officially addressed more than 25 major or minor bugs. It may not fix everything just yet but if you have already installed Android 11 you should probably also grab this update to make the experience smoother.
If you have yet to install last month's Android 11 update, our recommendation would be to wait until other users report back. Early reports suggest that some Plex and Kodi issues remain as well as network file sharing issues.
The Shield TV hardware was last upgraded in late 2019. Photo: FlatpanelsHD
The original Nvidia Shield TV was launched in 2015 with Android TV 5 and it now runs Android TV 11. That is a total of six Android generations, matching Apple TV at six tvOS generations (tvOS 9 to 15).
Also read: 2019 Shield TV vs. 2015 Shield TV vs. 2017 Shield TV
Nvidia's new update will start rolling out this week so check your box. FlatpanelsHD received the update just now.
Shield Experience Upgrade 9.0.1 – changelog
Major issues addressed
- Resolves PLEX Media Server issues
- Fixes storage permission issues on media players, file browsers, and emulator apps
- Fixes stutter when playing interlaced content
- Resolves brief video corruption when watching YouTube TV
- Fixes issue where HDMI-CEC volume control will be adjusted by 2 increments
- Removes thumbnail overlay when taking a screenshot
- Resolves issue where screen would be rotated 90 degrees
- Restores "beta" description to "Match frame rate" settings
- Fixes bug where audio would be lost after toggling "Dolby audio processing"
- Fixes Bluetooth audio issue when "Audio formats" is set to manual
- Resolves issue where SD card would not be detected after reboot
- Resolves issue where files on adopted storage was not visible when connecting over local network
- Resolves issue where Android folders are automatically created when connecting storage
- Fixes bug where files cannot copy onto removable storage when connecting over local network from a Mac
- Fixes bug copying files to SHIELD over local network when app is running on SHIELD
- Fixes bug where Kodi media files were not visible when connecting over local network
- Fixes bug where “Wi-Fi roaming enabled” switch was not working properly
- Resolves issue where user is prompted for Wi-Fi network again after successfully connecting to networks
- Fixes Kodi bug where SHIELD TV app, Control4, and other remotes would not work properly
- Fixes Kodi issue where long press select or menu would not be detected properly
- Fixes issue on XBOX controllers where pressing the XBOX button would not bring up Stadia menu
- Fixes bug where IR volume control would be disabled when USB DAC was connected
- Resolves navigation issues when selecting folders to grant files and media permissions
- Resolves instances where SHIELD would not be visible as a cast device
- Fixes bug where Kodi system files were unaccessable
- Fixes bug where playback status for videos would show up on the home screen