Sony will this week start rolling out the promised VRR update for its 2021 TV models. The same firmware will enable the TVs to do 4K mirroring and Dolby Atmos over AirPlay.
Update: The firmware is available now in North America and Europe. Changelog has been updated with additional information.
Sony released VRR for 2020's X900H/XH90 model in October but the VRR update for the 2021 models was delayed. Sony has now informed FlatpanelsHD that the update will finally roll out gradually starting tomorrow, March 2.
In Europe, the update should be available to everyone by March 16. If you want it early, you may need to download it manually from Sony's support pages. Otherwise check your TV's update menu regularly. The update will also roll out in the US and other regions but FlatpanelsHD has not received an exact date. Update: It is available now in both North America and Europe.
The update brings HDMI 2.1's VRR capabilities to the Sony A90J and A80J OLED TVs as well as the Sony Z9J, X95J and X90J LCD TVs. Sony's X85J was updated with VRR support in November where all of Sony's 2021 TVs also received the two new 'Perfect for PS5' features.
Sony 2021 A80J OLED TV
VRR, short for Variable Refresh Rate, lets the TV synchronize its refresh rate in real-time (48-120Hz, for example) to match the source device, i.e. PC or game console, for smoother and tear-free motion with lower input lag. The source device must also support VRR over HDMI.
There is no word on the promised VRR update for PlayStation 5 so for no you will have to rely on a PC or Xbox Series X. Remember that VRR must be enabled manually from the game console's picture menu.
Sony reiterated that 2022 TVs will launch with VRR support baked in
The same firmware update (v6.5660) will improve Apple AirPlay 2 functionality in 2021 Sony TVs by adding support for Dolby Atmos and 4K mirroring (AirPlay Mirroring). In addition, the update will include various bug fixes.
A changelog is included below.
Sony – VRR update for 2021 models (v6.5660)
Models being updated:
- 2021 models (X80J and above)
Download link (v6.5660)
- Europe: firmware v6.5660
- North America: coming soon
- Asia Pacific: firmware v6.5660
Benefits and Improvements:
- Adds Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) (A90J/X95J//X90JZ9J/A80J)
- Adds the built-in MIC sensitivity in System Settings (for TVs with built-in MIC)
- Adds 4K mirroring and Dolby Atmos support for Apple Airplay
- Adds a QR code to the help screen to navigate to mobile Help Guide content
- Adds Bluetooth audio output switching to the Quick settings menu
- Adds the Power Saving setting in Quick Settings menu
- Improves TV Power off User Interface
- Improves UI of Timers & Clock function
- Resolves an issue where Macro-blocking (pixelated image) occurred when watching Broadcast television with a CAM module
OTA – Update by network connection across Europe:
- 1st) Mar/2/2022: 20% of the market units
- 2nd) Mar/9/2022: 50% of the market units
- 3rd) Mar/16/2022: 100% of the market units