Sony has today announced that PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now will merge into an all-new PlayStation Plus gaming service with three tiers and up to 740 games.
All-new PS Plus
Sony has confirmed the rumors. The company will launch its answer to Xbox Game Pass this June in the US, Europe, Asia, and other parts of the world.
- "Today, we are pleased to share with you official news about changes coming to our subscription services. This June, we’re bringing together PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now in an all-new PlayStation Plus subscription service that provides more choice to customers across three membership tiers globally," said Jim Ryan, President & CEO, Sony Interactive Entertainment.
The Essential tier will offer the current PS Plus benefits at the same price. The Extra tier adds up to 400 PS4 and PS5 games for download including some existing titles from PlayStation Studios. The Premium tier adds up to 340 additional PS3, PS2, PS1 and PSP games, some of which can be downloaded and streamed while others (PS3) must be streamed, plus game trials.
At launch, Sony will include games such as Death Stranding, God of War, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Mortal Kombat 11, and Returnal. The catalog will be refreshed regularly but new games from Sony's game studios will not be added on launch day.
PS Now will transition into the new PS Plus server and will no longer be available as a standalone service.
Sony currently has 48 million PS Plus subscribers. Last May, the company confirmed that it had 3.2 million PS Now subscribers. For comparison, Microsoft has over 25 million Xbox Game Pass subscribers.
- "With the all-new PlayStation Plus, we’re focused on delivering a compelling game subscription service with curated content from our exclusive PlayStation Studios team and our third-party partners," said Jim Ryan.
The new PlayStation Plus gaming service will launch in phases. In the June timeframe, it will launch first in several markets in Asia, followed by North America, Europe and the rest of the world (where PlayStation Plus is offered). Sony expects it to be live in most markets by the end of the first half of 2022.
The all-new PlayStation Plus
PlayStation Plus Essential
- Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
-- Two monthly downloadable games
-- Exclusive discounts
-- Cloud storage for saved games
-- Online multiplayer access
- There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
- United States: $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
- Europe: €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly
PlayStation Plus Extra
- Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
- Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
- United States: $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
- Europe: €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly
PlayStation Plus Premium**
- Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
- Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
-- PS3 games available via cloud streaming
-- A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
- Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.***
- Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
- United States: $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
- Europe: €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
- United Kingdom: £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly
- Japan: ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly
PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets): For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalog of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.
*Local pricing may vary by market. PlayStation Plus catalog titles may also vary by market and tier, and may change over time. PlayStation Plus is an ongoing subscription subject to a recurring subscription fee taken automatically until cancellation. Age restrictions apply. Terms apply: play.st/psplus-usageterms
**Current markets where PlayStation Now is available: US, Canada, Japan, UK, France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Sweden.
***PC streaming is not available in Japan at launch and will be supported in a future update.