LG has released a major firmware update for two of its 2022 OLED TVs, C2 and G2, which adds Dolby Vision Precision Detail and brings with it several other improvements, too.
LG seemingly continues to be Dolby's closest video partner. LG was first to implement Dolby Vision in TVs, first to add 4K120 support for Dolby Vision, and first to add Dolby Vision IQ which takes your ambient lighting conditions into account by using the TV's light sensors.
And now LG is first to add Dolby Vision Precision Detail which is a picture enhancement system that works in combination with Dolby Vision IQ to reveal extra details in especially dark scenes.
Illustration of Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail that reacts to your ambient lighting conditions. Source: LG
- "Dolby Vision's Precision Detail will become available as part of the Dolby Vision IQ Update due for release starting in June 2022; specific timing will vary by country," LG UK wrote earlier this year.
It took a little longer but it has now arrived with firmware version 03.20.24 for LG C2 and G2. According to LG, Dolby Vision Precision Detail requires the latest Alpha 9 Gen 5 video processor. It will also come to the LG Z2 8K OLED TV but this firmware does not appear to be ready.
The Precision Detail function is optional and can be found under Picture settings -> Advanced -> Clarity when the TV is playing Dolby Vision content.
Also read: Review: LG C2 OLED 'Evo'
Coming to more TVs in 2023-2024
The system was developed by Dolby – sometimes referred to as Precision Rendering – and will late appear in TVs from other brands.
MediaTek, which supplies the SoC for most TVs nowadays, has announced that its SoC with Dolby Vision IQ and Precision Detail will be ready starting in the second half of 2022 for TV makers to implement, which probably means that it will show up in 2023 or 2024 TV models.
The new firmware should also improve near black handling, AirPlay, AV1 playback, voice recognition, and other things. LG has not provided a full changelog but see below for an unofficial changelog, courtesy of HiFI4Vision on AVSForum.
The firmware is rolling out now. If you do not see it from your TV's built-in update menu you can download it manually and install it via USB from your local LG support website.
Firmware v03.20.24 – unofficial changelog
- Dolby Engine updated to v32.05.
- Added Dolby Precision Rendering support. The option can be enabled in the supported picture modes.
- Improved near black handling.
- Optimized AirPlay audio delay.
- Firmwares of the Audio DSP, Video Decoder and WiFi / Bluetooth modules updated.
- Added support for additional models (LG Gaming TV / bendable screens).
- New advertisement features added to the Home dashboard.
- Max. AV1 bitrate support of the internal media server increased to 60Mbps.
- "LG Channels" added as an input to the Home input row.
- Room Connect app unlocked for several regions and feature enabled for Japan.
- Improved voice recognition features.
- Yandex Alice voice recognition support added for select countries.
- List of pre-installed SSL certificates updated.
- Bugfix: HDR picture modes didn't allow to set all values of the 22pt adjustments in the user settings menu.
- Bugfix: Fixed invalid permission in the service menu to change the TV model.
- Bugfix: Fixed Dolby Vision configuration of Cinema picture mode, which caused a too bright presentation.
- Several minor bugfixes and improvements.