Questions regarding FlatpanelsHD reviews will be answered here.
By Flatpanels
#11582 Our review of Sony X85E (XE85 in Europe) is online. It is a mid-range 4K TV with HDR support and Android TV. Sony has switched back to a VA LCD panel.
Link: http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php? ... 1495007874

Note that the TV is available as XE8505, XE8577, XE8588, XE8599, XE8596, and possible by other names in Europe

If you have questions please use this thread.

Enjoy.
By Rasmus Larsen
#11584 People sometimes ask me if modern LED based LCD TVs still use PWM to modulate the backlight brightness level. Some people perceive PWM as very high-frequency flicker similar to flicker on CRT and plasma TVs.

Sony X85E does not appear to be using PWM. The photo is taken at 1/15 s exposure time.

By franco.bluto
#11586 X85E spec wise and test looks like a reincarnated VA panel Sony edge lit frame dimming X850C not a bad thing priced right or bad up to 4K SDR TV but it aint no US Samsung KS 8000 US /EU KS 7000 or black chrome KS 800D Costco model like I have to replace my bricked Sony 55X850C for $0.00 on my extended warranty by anyones stretch of imagination here . :p

This new Samsung 55 KS XXXX TV and QDOT ultra Black Samsung FA01 panel takes it all up several levels from my Sony 55X850C and then some ,it's also WAY better at CATV /SAT TV *DirecTV here and smart TV and it is much thinner and nicer too ,the Tizen platform in general and voice search is terrific compared to unstable and slow android TV in the Sonys (when Android works in them ) :D

These Samung KS XXX are a nice premium feeling product like the X850C was in 2015 and isn't bad now outside of unstable Android TV given the 3rd world CPUs in all the Sony Andoid TV sets but nothing a swift HDR Android box or HDR media player wont fix

We don't have the 55X850E in US so Amazon slots the 55X900E as the 2016 55X850D new 2017 model tier at 55"

if they can price these X850E enough below the Samung real HDR 1000 TV's it may fit in well there because it's really a decent wide color 4K SDR TV anyway like my X850C that I get to keep and fix that was misdiagnosed as a bad panel but its the mainboard that won't boot or soft or hard reset now .

The incompetent warranty co. board changer fried the mainboard and likely TCON hot plugging the TCON at power on with no TCON diag code and a prior visible aborted power on Soft Android reset before a shutdown . now its dark and no DCV present at LED lamps .

I repaired the original board level problems at the LD board section but it wont start up or shut down at a hard unlock reset or forced firmware reload it gives me the mainboard diag code now after it thinks a bit .

When the fool did not break out a volt meter for the required voltage readings per the factory repair manual and single diag code at the smart module lamp and asked me if it was a smart TV I saw a new Samsung US KS 8000 coming my way soon :no lie D

IOW he was not my problem flagging a good panel and I get this exact significantly better new free 2016 Samung HDR 1000 TV I was shopping to absolutely buy within maybe 3 weeks anyway before Costco ran out of them I don't see a 2017 Sony X90E (55X900E) being the large price gap or $20.00 better if at all in 95% of use :p .

Costco distribution is where I asked to get my specific new TV from the warranty co.

I have the Samsung 55 KS 800D (UK KS 7000) /(US KS8000 direct from there now ,it's black chrome instead of shiny automobile bumper chrome and most likely to have an FA01 Samsung panel I wanted and have now and its flawless *as these panels go ,

$105.00 out of my paypal balance I will have the 55X850C running with my LD board section repair and broken screen mainboard and TCON board salvage parts shiping right now and a firmware load for its use in another room

.The dark X850C (money ) LCD cell is fine and always was .ha ha :p
By Kuschelmonschter
X85E spec wise and test looks like a reincarnated VA panel Sony edge lit frame dimming X850C

X850C was directly lit though...

X850C: VA Direct LED
X85D: IPS Edge LED
X85E: VA Edge LED

This new Samsung 55 KS XXXX TV and QDOT ultra Black Samsung FA01 panel takes it all up several levels from my Sony 55X850C and then some ,it's also WAY better at CATV /SAT TV *DirecTV here and smart TV and it is much thinner and nicer too ,the Tizen platform in general and voice search is terrific compared to unstable and slow android TV in the Sonys (when Android works in them )

Live TV and Smart TV functionality is indeed awful on Sony Android TV, also see my review.
By Rasmus Larsen
#11589 I think X850C is actually still slightly ahead in picture quality. The picture quality score should reflect that. Over the last few years, the 85 series has not really moved forward in any significant way. One point to make here is also that X93E actually was a decent improvement over X93D because of the improved zone-dimming system.

As kuschelmonschter points out, Android TV still has many problems. His write-up is very thorough so I can recommend it. Despite X85E having a faster chip and despite the software tweaks since X85D was released I actually gave it the same score in functionality. There are still issues, the speakers are worse (also included in our functionality score), and the TV SideView app is dead...
By Kuschelmonschter
#11591 O is indeed a lot of what I imagined Android TV to be from the beginning. Powerful voice search and control and putting the content front and center on the home screen, not apps. Ditching the useless recommendations row is also a good thing. Hopefully Sony can't hook up the useless Featured apps anymore either.

Will be interesting whether Sony puts O on their ATV1 plattform as well (2015 and early 2016 models). Think O will become the first Android TV version that will be be fun to use. Whether this will also be true for Sony's integration of O is totally different story though.
By Rasmus Larsen
#11698 I'll try to get a comment from Sony regarding Android O this coming week. It runs quite well on the Nexus Player so hopefully it can run even on the first Sony Android TVs.

Here's also Google's official presentation from I/O 2017 of the new UI / features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMB9B6Z__bM
By Kuschelmonschter
#11699 Nexus Player is based on a 1.8GHz quad core Atom. Suppose this is a different league compared to the MediaTek MT5890 with dual core A17 running at 1 GHz. Google states though that their focus was to have O running smoothly on even the slowest HW. Whatever that means.