Disney+ has today launched a new Star section in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Europe, and Singapore. A handful of titles are available in 4K with Dolby Vision. More content will be added in the coming months.
Star on Disney+
Disney+ now has a sixth section in markets outside the US (where Hulu is available). Star offers access to content from Disney Television Studios, FX, 20th Century Studios, 20th Television, and ABC Signature.
Star includes movies such as Die Hard, Deadpool 2, Pretty Woman, Borat, Braveheart, Titanic, The Martian, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The X-Files, The Shape of Water and The Grand Budapest Hotel. And series like Lost, Homeland, 24, Family Guy, Modern Family, American Dad, How I met Your Mother, Americans, Sons of Anarchy, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Atlanta, Scandal, Criminal Minds, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty and Desperate Housewives.
A full list (UK) is available here. The company said that it will be adding new content to Star every month. This includes Fox titles that are currently locked up in regional rights deals with other services.
- "Disney+ has touched the lives of nearly a hundred million people around the globe by providing a home for exceptional storytelling from the beloved brands of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, and today’s launch of the Star-branded international general entertainment offering marks an exciting expansion for the service," said Rebecca Campbell, Chairman, International Operations and Direct-to-Consumer for The Walt Disney Company. "With the addition of Star, we’re building even more value for consumers by adding an incredible array of high-quality movies and series for families, older teens, and adults, fueled by the acquisition of 21st Century Fox and our creative studios."
Star on Disney+
Dolby Atmos missing
A selection of titles on Star are available in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision HDR. However, at least some regions appear to be missing Dolby Atmos on Star titles that are available in Atmos elsewhere.
The new Star section on Disney+ is intended for mature audiences and parents will be given tools to restrict access, including a PIN code tool. To gain access to the full Star catalog you must set up your user account as 18+.
Disney will also produce Star originals. The first originals are available today including Helstrom, which in the US is available on the Hulu streaming service in which Disney holds majority ownership. In other regions, such shows will be part of Star.
With today's launch of Star, Disney+ is increasing its subscription prices. Existing subscribers will keep their current price for 6 months.
Disney+ from February 23, 2021
Disney+ with Star brings subscribers:
- A Single Entertainment Destination for All Audiences: All the content, including movies, shows, shorts, and originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, plus an additional 1000 unique titles under the new Star brand in the first year.
- Exclusive Originals: Over the next few years, Disney+ plans to add over 60 brand new originals from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic, and Star, along with local productions being created for the service under the Star brand geared towards a more mature audience.
- Robust Parental Controls: To keep Disney+ suitable for audiences of all ages and the experience parents expect, new parental controls will include the ability to set limits on access to content for specific profiles based on content ratings and the ability to add a PIN to lock profiles with access to mature content.
Pricing for Disney+ as of February 23, 2021:
• Canada: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual
• Australia: $11.99/month or $119.99/annual
• New Zealand: $12.99/month or $129.99/annual
• UK: £7.99/month or £79.90/annual
• Euro: 8.99/month or 89.90/annual
• Norway: 89.00kr/month or 890.00kr/annual
• Denmark: 79.00kr/month or 790.00kr/annual
• Sweden: 89.00 kr/month or 890.00 kr/annual
• Switzerland: CHF12.90/month or CHF129.00/annual
• Singapore: $11.98/month or $119.98/annual