A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By noktvrne
Hello Rasmus,

I've got a question - does the new GT30 have 2D/3D conversion? ;)
Also, is the WiFi adapter included (in Europe)?

Thanks for the awesome review!
By Lorq
Did you test if they've fixed the 50 Hz issue?

Nice that floating blacks have been fixed. Now you just have to run the TV 24/7 for a few months to see if raising blacks have been fixed. ;)
By petasis
Why there is no ANSI contrast measurement?

If the black level at the chessboard pattern raises significantly, it is a good indication of rising blacks...

On/Off contrast reported, is of no significance...
By hanzi
Hello Rasmus

thank you, thats some rare good news from Japan.

Maybe a bit off topic: I do not understand why they did not announce a 46" VT3x model

Greez
Hanzi
By alcenana
Hi!

Pixel orbiter was missing in the EU 2010 models (I own a VT20), are you saying that it's finally there also in the EU sets? Nice!

I can confirm that retention is an issue in the VT20 models, and crosstalk is very noticeable in PS3 3D gaming.

How much better are retention and crosstalk in this GT30?

It would be useful to see some comparative shots (even faking crosstalk, just to understand how much it's improved).

Thanks!
By Juan
Very interesting and complete review.

As expected, GT30 represents an important advance in comparison with previous equivalent GT20 (2010 model) and it is in pair with previous high end 2010 model VT20. This was expected as Panasonic talked about new phosphor for every model and also less reflections, which precisely were the main differences between last year's models VT20 and GT20.

Now the question is: will the new high end VT30 model be also a great advance in comparison with previous VT20 model? If this is the case, this would mean that VT30 could be the new reference in terms of picture quality. But Panasonic has not explained anything concrete about the new Infinite Black Pro 2 in comparison with last year Pro pannel, so it is difficult to expect anything concrete.

We are waiting for the VT30 review! This VT30 and the new LG Nano Full Led TVs are perfect candidates to be the best TVs in the market for 2011.
By xxx1
Please check again for floating blacks with moving pictures. For example with Ridley Scott's Robin Hood movie indoor scenes you have floating black all the time.

I don't want to have the same "surprise" like last year when i bought the VT20 and no one noticed the floating blacks until I saw them and was very disappointed.
By xxx1
And please check crosstalk with the PS3 games Killzone 3 and Motorstorm Apocalypse.
The cutscenes from Killzone 3 have plenty of crosstalk on my VT20.
By Rasmus Larsen
noktvrne wrote:Hello Rasmus,

I've got a question - does the new GT30 have 2D/3D conversion? ;)
Also, is the WiFi adapter included (in Europe)?

Thanks for the awesome review!
Yes, it has 2D/3D conversion but it's not very good :)

No Wi-Fi dongle is included but some cable adapters are.
By Rasmus Larsen
Lorq wrote:Did you test if they've fixed the 50 Hz issue?

Nice that floating blacks have been fixed. Now you just have to run the TV 24/7 for a few months to see if raising blacks have been fixed. ;)
Unfortunately I can't do that. I have to return it. I guess we will know more when the user communities start to receive their sets. And we hope to hear user feedback on the forums here as well :)
By Rasmus Larsen
petasis wrote:Why there is no ANSI contrast measurement?

If the black level at the chessboard pattern raises significantly, it is a good indication of rising blacks...

On/Off contrast reported, is of no significance...
This is indeed ANSI contrast measurements, as states in the "Test tools" section. On plasma TVs and LCD-TVs with local dimming LED it makes no sense to just do a on/off contrast measurement.
By Rasmus Larsen
alcenana wrote:Hi!

Pixel orbiter was missing in the EU 2010 models (I own a VT20), are you saying that it's finally there also in the EU sets? Nice!

I can confirm that retention is an issue in the VT20 models, and crosstalk is very noticeable in PS3 3D gaming.

How much better are retention and crosstalk in this GT30?

It would be useful to see some comparative shots (even faking crosstalk, just to understand how much it's improved).

Thanks!
Yes, there's a pixel orbiter as well as some test patterns in the advanced menu :)

I think that crosstalk in games also has to do with the actual execution of the games from game developers. I have seen some games with almost zero crosstalk and some with a lot. Crosstalk should be pretty constant from the TV but there's also a higher degree of crosstalk in very dark games with high contrast images.

Crosstalk is not much better - probably on the same level.
Retention is reduced but not gone. Compared to the VT20 (that has too much retention in my opinion), GT30 definately does a better job here.

I will try to take some more pictures but unfortunately I have to return the TV soon.