A chance to talk to FlatpanelsHD's reviewers.
By Rasmus Larsen
As noted in the info box in the conclusion part of the reason why C8 is not scoring higher in 'feature' is because of these following change:

"Change in test parameters: Starting this year we will make a change to a test parameter that relates to the features score, following years of poor practice in the TV industry. Unless a manufacturer of a given “Smart TV” can provide FlatpanelsHD with assurance that the TV platform will be updated to the next major version, the feature score will be lowered by 10 points. We hope that our initiative can help highlight the problem, start a discussion, and change the practice."

I should add that we have adjusted our score system to accomodate for this change by lowering the score for all previously reviewed TVs that have not been updated. This will apply to all "Smart TVs" from all manufacturers going forward.
By wesslan
Nice one!
A few questions. That's a very very high oled light. Is it correct for SDR and dark room? Compared to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings that runs 21 for their dark room calibration, to reach their target calibration luminance of 100 cd/m2.

And how did you find shadow detail ? That is what I see oleds still have big problems with compared to say a top plasma. Is 2018 any better?
By unknownuser
Finally LG is close to the Sony, even though Sony will release their X1 Ultimate which will be improvement but the Alpha 9 is still great.

Only one thing is annoying, game mode accuracy is still terrible. Can you do something about it without calibration?
Also you forgot to add the HDR pre calibration measurements, you only added SDR isf but no SDR Game mode. For HDR you just added HDR Game but no mode for movie.
By spanglebollox
Rasmus, if LG remedy the raised blacks would that move them to reference recommendation over the Sony, which you seemed to give a free pass on its Dolby Vision woes? And although you criticized WebOs, it's still regarded as one of the best inbuilt systems, so why centre on AppleTV?
By fegam
the dim hdr game mode problem that resulted from a software update last year. In your opinion from your time with games in hdr, it has been fix or not?
By Leonard0510
Excellent review It is observed that C8 did not obtain the level of reference for black lifting in Dolby Vision (DV), but there are reports that Sony OLED 2017 after its last firmware also presents it, additionally it has incompatibilities of DV playback over HDMI with UltraHD players like Oppo 203 OLED A8F should come with Dolby Vision compatibility and not wait for future firmware. I hope you can reconsider the level awarded to this magnificent OLED.
Greetings very good job.
By Rasmus Larsen
wesslan wrote:Nice one!
A few questions. That's a very very high oled light. Is it correct for SDR and dark room? Compared to https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings that runs 21 for their dark room calibration, to reach their target calibration luminance of 100 cd/m2.

And how did you find shadow detail ? That is what I see oleds still have big problems with compared to say a top plasma. Is 2018 any better?
So 100 nits would be for a 10% window? OLED panels still use ABL so full-screen brightness would be considerable lower. I honestly find 21 way too low even for dark room viewing with ABL in effect.

Shadow detail is one the same level as 2017, I would say. Not perfect but better than in the early days.
By Rasmus Larsen
unknownuser wrote:Finally LG is close to the Sony, even though Sony will release their X1 Ultimate which will be improvement but the Alpha 9 is still great.

Only one thing is annoying, game mode accuracy is still terrible. Can you do something about it without calibration?
Also you forgot to add the HDR pre calibration measurements, you only added SDR isf but no SDR Game mode. For HDR you just added HDR Game but no mode for movie.
I can upload more for you here in this thread. I think I took a reading for most of the picture modes but let me check. Can you give me a list of the ones you would like? :)
By Rasmus Larsen
spanglebollox wrote:Rasmus, if LG remedy the raised blacks would that move them to reference recommendation over the Sony, which you seemed to give a free pass on its Dolby Vision woes? And although you criticized WebOs, it's still regarded as one of the best inbuilt systems, so why centre on AppleTV?
Torben and I discussed this for quite some time. We usually test in two separate locations but met up to compare the two side-by-side. I think the conclusion is yes, C8 would then take over our reference status.

Yeah, I understand your point. It may seem as if Sony got a free pass here. Of course, Sony's Dolby Vision implementation could be just as faulty - we don't know yet as we haven't had a chance to examine it - but LG has yet to release a proper fix for any of its OLED TVs. This has been ongoing for too long, if you ask us.

My perception of webOS has changed quite a bit after living with an LG TV and after talking to developers. Most TV developers we talk to simply ignore webOS, Tizen, Firefox OS (now myhomescreen), partly because the platforms are not maintained / fragmented. I think it is fair to compare TV operating systems in a larger perspective even though some of them require a separate media player, and compared to tvOS I don't think webOS is very attractive. And then there's the whole not-updating-the-OS thing.
By Rasmus Larsen
fegam wrote:the dim hdr game mode problem that resulted from a software update last year. In your opinion from your time with games in hdr, it has been fix or not?
It's quite a bit brighter now. I actually meant to include a few words on this but apparently I forget. But check the "Before calibration (HDR Game)" graph where you can see that the measurements are tracking higher than the yellow reference line for luminance so the HDR Game mode is actually even brighter than it is supposed to be.
By Rasmus Larsen
Leonard0510 wrote:Excellent review It is observed that C8 did not obtain the level of reference for black lifting in Dolby Vision (DV), but there are reports that Sony OLED 2017 after its last firmware also presents it, additionally it has incompatibilities of DV playback over HDMI with UltraHD players like Oppo 203 OLED A8F should come with Dolby Vision compatibility and not wait for future firmware. I hope you can reconsider the level awarded to this magnificent OLED.
Greetings very good job.
Thanks Leonard. Do you have a link? I 'm curious to learn more about those reported issues.

Unfortunately we have yet to experience Dolby Vision on a Sony OLED but such problems would surely weigh into our evaluation.
By unknownuser
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
unknownuser wrote:Finally LG is close to the Sony, even though Sony will release their X1 Ultimate which will be improvement but the Alpha 9 is still great.

I can upload more for you here in this thread. I think I took a reading for most of the picture modes but let me check. Can you give me a list of the ones you would like? :)
Awesome, thank you!

Just the popular ones.
SDR - Cinema, Game, technicolor
HDR10: Cinema, technicolor, Game
By Leonard0510
Rasmus Larsen wrote:
Leonard0510 wrote:Excellent review It is observed that C8 did not obtain the level of reference for black lifting in Dolby Vision (DV), but there are reports that Sony OLED 2017 after its last firmware also presents it, additionally it has incompatibilities of DV playback over HDMI with UltraHD players like Oppo 203 OLED A8F should come with Dolby Vision compatibility and not wait for future firmware. I hope you can reconsider the level awarded to this magnificent OLED.
Greetings very good job.
Thanks Leonard. Do you have a link? I 'm curious to learn more about those reported issues.

Unfortunately we have yet to experience Dolby Vision on a Sony OLED but such problems would surely weigh into our evaluation.
Hello Rasmus I leave the link of the comparison of Vincent Teoh with the last update Dolby Vision (DV) for TVs with processor X1 Extreme. Take into consideration from the minute 07:55 where evidence of the rise of blacks on Sony TV updated to DV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzrwvJs ... e=youtu.be
From DV players through HDMI up to date compatible with Sony DV TVs only Apple TV iOS 11.3. Pending firmware up to now by Oppo 203/205.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1522414915
regards
By GregFish
Nice review - appreciate all the work you put into these. If you had to only pick one between the C8 or the A1E, which would you go for? Thanks!