The latest software update for Nvidia Shield brings Android 9 (Pie) to the streaming box. The update also includes a 'match color space' feature, support for Netflix's high-quality audio, and more.
Nvidia Shield updates
Nvidia is continuously updating its Shield TV box that was released four years ago. The company is also rumored to be working on an upgraded hardware revision.
The latest software package (Shield Experience Upgrade 8.0) includes first and foremost Android 9. There is a new settings menu and a streamlined setup for new users. Google says that Android 9 (Pie) includes various performance optimizations for TV devices.
Nvidia confirmed that it is bringing 'match content color space' to its box. With this setting, the box will automatically match the color space of the content, which is important when switching between HDR and SDR content. However, Shield still lacks system-wide support for the match frame rate system that Apple TV offers.
The company used the opportunity to highlight various app-specific new features. Netflix now offers high-quality 5.1 surround sound (up to 640 Kbps) on Shield and Amazon is finally supported Chromecast, meaning that you can cast Amazon Prime Video to Shield in up to 4K (but not HDR, it seems). The new Hulu app with live TV is also coming to Shield.
The software update is rolling out now to Nvidia Shield. A changelog can be found below.
Nvidia Shield Experience Upgrade 8.0 - changelog
SHIELD TV Gets Upgraded to Android P
Android P brings a redesigned Settings menu and a streamlined setup for new users.
Hulu Live TV is Coming to SHIELD
The new Hulu app with Live TV has started rolling out to SHIELD users. Enjoy live sports, news and events on 60+ top channels. The rollout is expected to complete in the coming weeks.
Netflix Enables High-Quality Surround Sound
Now on SHIELD, Netflix dynamically delivers Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio up to 640 kbps for sound quality that rivals professional recording studios.
Prime Video adds 4K Cast for SHIELD
Use your mobile phone to discover and cast your favorite Prime Video movies or TV shows right on your SHIELD in up to 4K resolutions.
Watch Movies in 4K + HDR with FandangoNOW
FandangoNOW has been upgraded, letting you watch newly released UHD movies like Captain Marvel, Dumbo, or Us in stunning HDR on your SHIELD TV
- Updates "Display and Sounds" advanced setting into two easier to navigate menus.
- Adds option to match content color space (Settings > Display & Sound > Advanced).
- Improves volume dynamic range for USB and bluetooth connected headsets.
- SHIELD TV remote app adds bluetooth assist for pairing and improves connection.
- Enables 720p refresh rate switching on supported apps.
- Adds "Disconnect Bluetooth accessories" option to quick settings.
- Adds IR power control options to customize on/off functionality.
- Adds option to turn off USB power when SHIELD sleeps.
- Adds option to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wi-Fi network with shared SSID.
- Latest accessory firmware versions:
-- SHIELD controller (2017): v1.30
-- SHIELD controller (2015): v1.96/99/3.71/0.32
-- SHIELD remote (2017): v1.43
-- SHIELD remote (2015): v.1.36